Monthly Archives: August 2017

Competes in Tough Mudder race

Terry Reuer thinks that determination is the key to success.

Reuer made headlines earlier this week after revealing she dropped nearly 80 pounds during the last two years and successfully completed a Tough Mudder race in June.

The 67-year-old now weighs 120 pounds but was once 198. She told Fox News on Friday that she started her wellness journey by cutting out carbs, sugar and rice. But her initial goal wasn’t necessarily to lose weight, she said. Rather, the Farmington Hills, Mich. resident just wanted to live a healthier lifestyle.

14 LAST-MINUTE HALLOWEEN COSTUMES YOU CAN PULL OFF WITH ONLY MAKEUP

“I’m one of six siblings, and the other five have significant health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. While I hadn’t developed any of those things, I knew I would if I didn’t change how I was eating,” she said.

She also said her job encouraged her to better her lifestyle. Reuer is the CEO of Dryer Vent Wizard, a dryer vent cleaning service. She described her job as “high-stress.”

“To keep doing it as I get older, I knew I needed to be in a better condition than I was two years ago,” she said.

Just by changing her eating habits, Reuer quickly dropped 50 pounds. “When I started to lose weight, it was fun,” she said.

Even though she was thinner, Reuer said she still felt self-conscious about going to the gym at first — wary of other gym-goers who might watch or judge her.

When she did start going, “I couldn’t do push up or pull ups, and I was sore and tired,” she said.

But Reuer was determined to get stronger– eventually hiring a personal trainer to help her on her fitness journey. As she slowly built up her strength and stamina, people started to take note.

A month after she started working out, Reuer said that Jason Kapica, the executive vice president of Dryer Vent Wizard, asked her to take part in a Tough Mudder race– a 10 to 12 mile endurance race where participants run, scale walls, climb ropes, and more. Kapica wanted to raise money for the Children’s Burn Foundation, he told her.

At first, Reuer was hesitant to enter the competition.

82-YEAR-OLD FINISHES APPALACHIAN TRAIL, BECOMES OLDEST TO EVER COMPLETE HIKE

“I told him I’ve never done anything like that,” she said. “I thought it was funny he even asked.”

Reuer told Kapica that she would support him and the company would sponsor him– but she wasn’t going to take part.

But her outlook changed when she thought about the children she would be helping by participating in the race. While working with her trainer one day, Reuer made it official.

“My trainer looked at me and said, ‘OK– we have some work to do.’”

Heartbreaking photos of baby set to lose limbs to meningitis

The parents of a baby struck by meningitis have been told she will lose all of her limbs, her sight and hearing and suffer 90 percent brain damage in the worst case doctors have seen in 25 years.

Ten-month-old Kia Gott has already had her right arm removed and is due to have one of her legs amputated on Monday.

She was rushed to hospital four weeks ago after dad Paul, 35, went to check on her in the middle of the night, sensing something was wrong.

He put a light on and saw her face, neck and chest was covered in a terrible rash – a known symptom of meningococcal septicemia.

Paramedics arrived fast but Kia’s veins had collapsed so they had to drill into her tiny shin to give her emergency drugs.

NURSE SERENADES DYING PATIENT WITH HER FAVORITE SONG

While that was happening the baby girl had a mini cardiac arrest and was rushed to Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorks.

Crushed parents-of-three Paul and Vikki, 30, were then told the devastating news that all four limbs would have to be removed.

An MRI scan also showed signs she would be deaf, blind and have 90 percent brain damage.

Despite doctors’ shocking prognosis, Kia’s parents are clinging on to hope she can still hear and see them and her older brother Kayden, eight, and sister Elsie, who is four.

She is now off a ventilator and although still sedated she is breathing for herself.

“Paul and Vikki are traumatized,” Donna Gott, Paul’s aunt, said. “They know she is in a bad way but they can’t grasp she can’t hear or see them. They believe she is responding to them and their voices and when Elsie sings her nursery rhymes.

“She is yawning, moving her head and her arm – the hospital has said it’s the worst case of Meningitis C septicaemia they have seen there in 25 years,” she said. “Because she is on so many drugs at the moment it’s hard to do the tests they need to find out for sure but they will keep monitoring her.

TEEN’S SORE THROAT SPIRALS INTO LIFE-THREATENING INFECTION

“An eye specialist has given some hope her eyes might still be healthy,” Gott said. “Vikki has not left the hospital – she is feeling an immense sense of guilt and is scared if she leaves the hospital something bad will happen.

“It’s heartbreaking – Paul is a self-employed window-fitter and is still having to work two days a week because bills still need paying,” she said. “Kayden and Elsie are staying over at the hospital house with their mom at weekends. They are struggling too.”

Two days before Kia fell ill she had been at her older siblings’ school in Wyke, near Bradford, West Yorks., where the family live for a family photo.

Later that week Kia’s mom took her to the doctor, worried that she “was not herself.”

Hospital consultants have since told the family that the doctor would not have been able to detect meningitis at that time.

When Paul came home from work that night, Kia did not get excited to see him – which was unusual.

Intestinal parasites on the rise

Here in the U.S., where food is certified and regulated, you don’t expect to come away from a restaurant with an intestinal parasite.

However, just because these infections don’t run rampant does not mean that they don’t happen. In fact, several types of intestinal parasites might just be gaining ground in Western countries.

One type of intestinal parasite that may be increasing is often found in sushi. The fact that more cases are occurring in developed areas doesn’t mean that more fish are infected. Instead, it reflects people’s increased interest in eating raw fish as a meal.

In one case published in the journal BMJ Case Reports, a healthy man from Portugal made a trip to his doctor after more than a week of severe stomach pain. He was also experiencing vomiting and a low-grade fever.

CARPENTER DIES AFTER CONTRACTING FLESH-EATING BACTERIA INFECTION WHILE FIXING HARVEY-DAMAGED HOMES

Upon careful evaluation, the doctors discovered that the man had recently eaten sushi. Suspecting a parasite, the doctor performed an endoscopy where he viewed the man’s digestive tract through a tiny tube with a camera.

Sure enough, the parasite anisakiasis had attached itself to the lining of the man’s stomach. His symptoms disappeared immediately once the parasite and its larvae were removed.

“Most of the cases were described in Japan due to food habits; however, it has been increasingly recognized in Western countries,” the study’s authors noted.

With this increased interest in raw food, especially sushi, people should stay aware of safety habits. Experts recommend eating sushi only at high grade restaurants where workers are sure to have taken important precautions.

A Summer of Cyclospora

Normally, health experts encourage you to eat plenty of fresh produce, but in the case of cyclosporiasis, fresh produce is likely the culprit.

This intestinal illness happens when a person gets infected by the parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis. Thankfully, you can’t spread Cyclospora from person to person, but it does spread through contaminated food or water.

The most common symptom to watch for is watery diarrhea that lasts for several weeks. It may also be the cause of cases with prolonged, intermittent diarrhea.

 

Heartbreaking photos of baby set to lose limbs to meningitis

The parents of a baby struck by meningitis have been told she will lose all of her limbs, her sight and hearing and suffer 90 percent brain damage in the worst case doctors have seen in 25 years.

Ten-month-old Kia Gott has already had her right arm removed and is due to have one of her legs amputated on Monday.

She was rushed to hospital four weeks ago after dad Paul, 35, went to check on her in the middle of the night, sensing something was wrong.

He put a light on and saw her face, neck and chest was covered in a terrible rash – a known symptom of meningococcal septicemia.

Paramedics arrived fast but Kia’s veins had collapsed so they had to drill into her tiny shin to give her emergency drugs.

NURSE SERENADES DYING PATIENT WITH HER FAVORITE SONG

While that was happening the baby girl had a mini cardiac arrest and was rushed to Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorks.

Crushed parents-of-three Paul and Vikki, 30, were then told the devastating news that all four limbs would have to be removed.

An MRI scan also showed signs she would be deaf, blind and have 90 percent brain damage.

Despite doctors’ shocking prognosis, Kia’s parents are clinging on to hope she can still hear and see them and her older brother Kayden, eight, and sister Elsie, who is four.

She is now off a ventilator and although still sedated she is breathing for herself.

“Paul and Vikki are traumatized,” Donna Gott, Paul’s aunt, said. “They know she is in a bad way but they can’t grasp she can’t hear or see them. They believe she is responding to them and their voices and when Elsie sings her nursery rhymes.

“She is yawning, moving her head and her arm – the hospital has said it’s the worst case of Meningitis C septicaemia they have seen there in 25 years,” she said. “Because she is on so many drugs at the moment it’s hard to do the tests they need to find out for sure but they will keep monitoring her.